Saturday, November 28, 2015

Get Ready....2016 Is Coming!

The challenges are here! We're one step closer to kicking off! Click on the Challenges tab above to find out more about them. 

Here's some stuff having to do with Historical Food Fortnightly, Round 2 (Electric Boogaloo):

  • We polled our members on the Facebook group to find out what their favorite challenges from the last round were, so you'll see some favorites from last year making a repeat run. We hope you enjoy revisiting these ones!
  • There was some discussion about making this year a monthly challenge instead of a fortnightly challenge. We decided to keep it fortnightly, at least for this year. We'd like an opportunity to more fully evaluate how the fortnightly thing goes before we switch formats (if we decide to switch formats). For now, if you'd prefer to cook monthly, try a half-marathon and do every other challenge. You have my full permission to make the challenges work for you and your life.
  • On a personal note, you'll probably see me doing less cooking. I accomplished what I needed to last year - namely, becoming more confident in my historical cooking skills and adding to my 19th century repertoire - and I have some big stuff coming up in the next year that requires my attention. So you'll be seeing me (and Melissa) doing more admin stuff than actual cooking, and that's maybe the way it should be. We'll be cheering everyone on!

If you want to take part, click on the Challengers tab at the top of the blog and follow the link there to fill out the form. We'll keep adding to the list on a rolling basis as people join!

Let's have a great year of exploring historical cooking together! Stay tuned here for more helpful stuff as we get geared up!

5 comments:

  1. Ah, to bad. I don't and never will have Facebook. I would have loved to see what some of the discussions were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fun group! One of my goals for this year is to find better ways to integrate the Facebook group and the blog, and post more on the blog. We have a decent number of participants who do not use Facebook.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Ditto what Isabella said. I'd like to try to participate but I don't have as much free time as I did last year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm working away from home for the next week or so. I have printed the challenges out and will do some planning while I'm away.
    I *will* do at least one challenge this year, which would be one more than last!
    To make life more difficult, I really want to only do stuff datable to 1600-1650 in England as that fits with the living history I do.
    And, even if I don't do much, the FB conversations were most worthwhile last time.

    ReplyDelete